The Midland Church of the Brethren was begun in 1883 by Brethren farmers migrating
to Fauquier County (mostly from the Shenandoah Valley). The Church grew rapidly both from continuing migration and from
an evangelical witness firmly rooted in the pietist and anabaptist traditions.
The first of the new Brethren congregations in Northern Virginia, Midland gave birth to a string of congregations
that spread first to Nokesville, then on to Manassas and then to Oakton and Dranesville and to Hollywood (near Fredericksburg).
The congregation still worships in the original sanctuary, albeit now encased
in brick and slightly expanded with two additions. The cemetery features both old markers made from simple fieldstone
and new headstones with brass inserts and polished black or burgundy granite.
The Midland Christian Academy, the Church's primary local outreach, serves children from preschool to Middle
School and is located in a quaint fieldstone house, a "modular" classroom building, as well as the Church building.
We have bought additional acreage and are in the planning process for a larger school building capable of properly serving
the children God has sent into our care.